Continuing to look at the nominees for Red Herring’s 2008 Canadian version of the 50 “most innovative and promising companies”, having already looked at A-F. These are divided based on my findings of who’s local and who has interesting / relevant jobs posted on their website.
If I list a company you own or are affiliated with, and you’d like to correct something I’ve said or just say Hi, feel free. With a list this long, there’s only so much mental space I’m devoting to each of you, so it’s entirely possible that I’ll miss something or misrepresent something.
Local, relevant jobs:
- LearnHub, by Savvica, is a social learning network done in Ruby on Rails near King and University with open positions in Rails, Community Manager, Content Writer, BizDev Manager.
- Morega does digital multimedia in Mississauga, and is looking for the following: Embedded Software Engineer (C/Linux), Cryptography Software Engineer, Embedded Software and Systems Architect, Senior Server Engineers (C++/Java) and Product Manager, and just secured $10M financing.
- N4 Systems does safety compliance software at Queen and John, and is looking for an Intermediate Java Developer, Intermediate C# Mobile developer and QA lead.
- Nulogy does contract packaging at Queen and Bathurst, and is looking for Program Management / User Experience Designer, Visual and Interaction Web Designer.
Local, no obviously relevant jobs:
- Iristel does telecom out of Markham – residential and enterprise phone/dsl solutions. No obvious jobs, though.
- Jazinga does telephony at Yonge/Sheppard. They’re “always looking for dynamic/experienced/inspired individuals”, but haven’t posted any specific opportunities.
- LyricFind does searching and display of music lyrics at Yonge and Eglinton. No obvious job postings.
- Modiface does face visualization (what would I look like if …) at Bloor and Bay but don’t have obvious job postings.
- Mondial Energy does solar power, possibly in the Beach (although that may be a home-office), with no obvious job postings.
Not very local, but not very far:
- IGLOO software does “corporate social networking” out of Kitchener. They’re looking for a project manager, QA lead, and database developer.
- LoyaltyMatch brokers points from loyalty systems by connecting users who want to own things that are in loyalty program catalogues with users who’d like to trade their points for cash. Interesting idea. They’re out of waterloo, and don’t have any obvious job postings.
- MedShare does point-of-care mobile solutions for medical out of Cambridge. They’re looking for .NET developers and Java mobile developers.
Not local or just not sure:
- Gaboogie Canada / Lypp does conference calling and other VOIP solutions out of Vancouver. No obvious relevant postings.
- GiveMeaning is online fundraising out of Vancouver. No obvious relevant postings.
- ICEsoft does rich web client solutions out of Calgary. They’re looking for a Java EE developer. If you fill that position, take the opportunity to fix the broken links on their website while you’re there, eh?
- Indel is early-stage biotechnology. They don’t offer much info on location or jobs, but they’re probably not overflowing with software and IT jobs.
- Inimex does pharmaceuticals to trigger your own defences (immune response?) out of Vancouver. No obviously relevant jobs.
- Jiibe has a site to help employees find employers with their desired culture (interesting idea, but not really that profound in implementation) and another tool to help companies measure/steer their culture. Out of Vancouver, no relevant jobs visible.
- KeyCanada is a real estate community out of Kingston. No career postings that I can see.
- Lavablast does software for franchise owners out of Ottawa and Montreal; .NET openings available.
- LED Medical Diagnostics does an oral cancer screening system (Velscope) out of BC. No obvious job postings.
- Light-Based Technologies does solid-state lighting products out of BC. No obvious job postings.
- LiquidxStream seems to do cable/video operator hardware revolving around quadrature amplitude modulation in Montreal. No obvious job postings.
- Lumerical does microscale/nanoscale optics in BC. They’d like a software developer with OpenGL/C++ and if you know some PHP, that won’t hurt.
- M5T does SIP telephony out of Sherbrooke, QC, and is looking for software developers with C++.
- MailChannels fights Spam from their lair in Vancouver. They’re looking for a sysadmin and a software dev with experience in a variety of languages.
- MediaScrape does multi-lingual news video out of Montreal, with no obvious job postings.
- MetroLeap does web entertainment out of BC, with no obvious postings.
- Mixpo does online video advertising out of Victoria, BC; no obvious postings.
- Mobidia does ip services management for mobile devices in Vancouver. They’re looking for a director of project management and a quality assurance engineer.
- MoboVivo does video for mobile devices, notably iPod/iPhone/PSP out of Calgary. No obvious postings.
- My Virtual Model does virtual models (I have a hard time describing it concisely, go check out the site) out of Montreal, with no open postings.
- Myca does “connected” healthcare in Quebec City, no obvious postings.