As bank jobs go, CIBC’s posting desiring a Senior Manager, Application Services is really not so bad:
Manage a small team of developers in delivering the design, development, and implementation activities for the ICIF/OMNI services using SOA.
- Deliver SOA services within budget and on time.
- Oversee the development, testing and implementation of multiple, complex, organization-wide systems.
- Define and manage resource requirements and allocations, monitor and improve quality, and ensure ‘best practice’ development techniques.
- Work with client departments in development, testing and implementation of application programs having impact on improving the business by advising application owners on the technology possibilities and requirements.
- Direct, motivate and develop staff, maximizing their individual contribution, their professional growth and their ability to function effectively with their colleagues as a team.
Although working with EJB and SOAP is perhaps not everyone’s favorite technology stack, the rest of the requirements are pretty reasonable. I’m given to understand that bank jobs are well-suited to those who want a nine-to-five, serenity-prayer career, although I haven’t personally held a bank job in Toronto.